The Gastroenterology-Hepatology Clinic at Metropolitan General conducts thorough investigation and delivers diagnosis and treatment for the entire range of gastrointestinal disorders, using modern diagnostic and interventional Gastroenterology methods.
In cooperation with the Central Laboratories, the Department of Medical Imaging, and the Operating Rooms, multiple specialized tests and procedures are carried out on a daily basis.
The Clinic’s physicians are especially interested in idiopathic inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD - ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease) and fatty liver infiltration, due to their multi-year experience in specialized centers in Greece and abroad, and their Continuing Medical Education.
The Clinic’s operations include:
- Short stay in Metropolitan General’s specialized departments for blood and iron transfusions, administration of biological agents to IBD patients, liver biopsies.
- Admission to the Clinic for the management of serious GI, Liver and Biliary system diseases
- Regular Gastroenterology-Hepatology Clinic
- Digestive endoscopies that include the full spectrum of classical diagnostic endoscopies such as esophagogastroduodenoscopy, colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, total colonoscopy and ileoscopy
- Digestive endoscopies that include more specialized techniques such as wireless capsule endoscopy, enteroscopy, and pouchoscopy in patients who have undergone total colectomy, by forming a pouch from the small bowel
- Digestive endoscopies that include the entire range of modern invasive endoscopies in Gastroenterology such as EMR/ESD polypectomy technique, endoscopic hemostasis to treat GI hemorrhage, endoscopic ultrasound-guided FNA, dilation of GI stenoses (narrowings) via bougie or balloon dilators, endoscopic stent placement in the digestive tract or bile ducts to treat stenoses or leakage, placement of full-thickness clips to treat hemorrhage or perforation, APC ablation to treat warts, ablation to treat Barrett's esophagus, endoscopic treatment of Zenker diverticulum
- FIBROSCAN to monitor patients with viral hepatitides, fatty liver infiltration and metabolic syndrome, in collaboration with other Clinics of special interest.
The Clinic collaborates both on scientific and research level with the Medical Schools of the Universities of Athens and Patras as well as with specialized invasive endoscopy centers in Great Britain.
The continuous updating of the Clinic’s medical staff through seminars and educational activities, both domestically and abroad, along with their participation in clinical trials, constitutes is an essential precondition for the provision of high quality, patient-centered healthcare services.
Emmanouil Theodoros, MD PhD FEBGH, Gastroenterologist
Panagiotakopoulos Dimitrios, MD MRCP(UK), Gastroenterologist, Head of Endoscopic Ultrasounds Dept.
Leonidas Petrogiannopoulos, MD, Gastroenterologist
Lazaros-Dimitris Lazaridis, MD PhD, Gastroenterologist
Despoina Nastou, MD FEBGH, Gastroenterologist, Head of motility disorder of digestive system
Contact number: +30 210 650 22972