The Department of Ophthalmology at Metropolitan General covers fully the whole range of diseases of the visual system through its individual Departments, Laboratories and special Clinics. It's staffed by renowned doctors with long experience in major hospitals in Greece and in internationally renowned centers
Challenging problems and rare cases are referred to special Scientific Board which includes Professors of Ophthalmology and the Director of the Department
- Optical fundus: Retina - Choroid – Vitreous
- Lasers: Argon – YAG – Diode - SLT- P D T
- Ocular motor disorders: Strabismus
- Refractive surgery
- Plastic Surgery
It has state-of-the-art lasers for the most modern, painless and effective treatments with minimal intervention, lasting a few minutes.
- Diode Laser, the only laser with the innovative Micropulse technology, which does not destroy the tissue for the treatment of glaucoma
- YAG Laser for eye surgeries such as capsulotomy, iridotomy, vitreolysis
- SLT Laser for the treatment of glaucoma, eliminating the need for anti-glaucoma treatment or significantly reducing its dosage
- Optical coherence tomography (retina scan)
- Digital angiography (fluorescein & indocyanine assisted)
- A, B, UBM scan ophthalmic ultrasounds
- Corneal topography
- Pachymetry & Biometry
- Endothelial Cell Density
- Visual field test
- Electrophysiology Ε.Ο.G, E.R.G., V.E.R.
The latest digital angiography equipment, O.C.T - Angio, helps significantly in the diagnosis and treatment of macular degeneration and diseases of ocular fundus in general, providing high resolution images and high diagnostic accuracy. In addition, together with the detailed recording of glaucoma lesions, it contributes to the correct treatment of the disease, at the appropriate time.
- Macular Disorders
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Thyroid-associated orbitopathy
- Eye tissue transplantations
- Pediatric ophthalmology
- Lacrimal apparatus
- Eye and orbit oncology
Metropolitan General is one of the few centers in Greece with high specialization in the treatment of diabetic retinopathy, thyroid ophthalmopathy as well as diseases of the optic tract and orbit.
In operating rooms, all surgeries related to the eye and the eye socket are performed in the most modern way. The state-of-the-art medical equipment includes the Constallation LXT and the latest Stellaris PC NG model for specialized operations using a state-of-the-art electron microscope with automated functions.
The fully equipped and staffed Glaucoma Department offers complete services for the diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of the disease.
Specifically, it provides:
- The latest generation of Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) (Optovue-Solix), with the possibility to evaluate all the latest biomarkers for the early detection of structural lesions in glaucoma. Apart from the conventional and classical methods, there is the most modern possibility of evaluating the blood flow in the optic nerve with the latest generation OCT bloodless digital angiography in the clinic. At the same time, it is possible to visualize the anterior hemisphere and the anatomy of the angle for closed angle glaucoma.
- Visual fields, for the optimal and most reliable recording and monitoring of functional vision disorder.
- Corneal pachymetry using multiple methods (OCT, specular microscopy, ultrasound).
- The latest generation of SLT Laser as a treatment option for glaucoma, for the abolition of anti-glaucoma treatment or the significant reduction of its dosage.
- Micropulse Diode Laser (Iridex), with innovative technology (micropulse), which does not destroy the tissue, representing the most modern treatment option for bloodless treatment of more severe forms of glaucoma.
The Doctors of Glaucoma Department have extensive experience in the surgical management of non-drug-controlled cases, with the most modern and minimally invasive MIGS (Micro-Invasive Glaucoma Surgery) techniques. Indicatively, some applied techniques are Kahook dual blade, iStent and other MIGS technologies.
At the same time, they treat surgical and more severe cases, with trabeculectomy and insertion of Baerveldt and Ahmed type valves, depending on the severity of the cases.
Stephanos Christodoulou MD, Consultant Eye Surgeon
Contact Number: +30 210 650 2662, +30 210 650 2000