“Get your life back...”
Metropolitan General’s Department of Physiotherapyaims to help patients resume all their daily and sports activities in the fastest and safest way possible. The Department ranks among the largest physiotherapy institutions in the country, boasting state-of-the-art infrastructure and equipment, while it is one of the few certified Human Tecar and Ergon Technique therapy centers.
It is staffed by highly qualified physiotherapists, each of whom specializes in specific physiotherapy techniques and treatment approaches. All members of our Department of Physiotherapy stand out for their skills, knowledge, and will to help patients achieve their final goals through a guided treatment process; a process encompassing full recovery and marked improvement in terms of quality of life and not just temporary relief of symptoms.
Our therapeutic approaches apply to conditions such as trauma recovery, postoperative rehabilitation, or inflammation or disease physical restoration. Such conditions may affect the function of joints, nerves, muscles, ligaments, bones as well as blood or lymphatic circulation.
Our Physiotherapy Divisions include:
- Division of Spine Diseases Treatment, Prevention, and Counselling (back pain, disc-related diseases, neck pain, thoracic pain, kyphosis, scoliosis, pain due to muscle contractions, poor ergonomics in the workplace, muscle asymmetry, loss of trunk control and postural stability, etc.)
- Division of Sports Injuries, both for professional and amateur athletes (muscle strains, tendonitis/tendon-related diseases, post-shoulder arthroscopy recovery, meniscus tear, anterior/posterior cruciate ligament tear, Achilles tendon rupture, etc.)
- Division of Shoulder Injuries and Disorders for both conservative and postoperative rehabilitation (fractures, ruptures, and inflammations of shoulder/tendons joints, rotator cuff injuries, supraspinatus tears, labrum tears, rehabilitation after shoulder dislocation, etc.)
- Division of Hip Injuries, following surgery and/or trauma (fractures, total arthroplasty, muscle strains, etc.)
- Division of Lymphedema for the rehabilitation of congenital and acquired lymphedema after mastectomy, hysterectomy, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, etc.
- Division of Headache for the treatment of all types of headaches and migraines
- Division of Neurological Rehabilitation for the demanding rehabilitation of neurological pathological conditions, i.e. strokes, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, polyneuropathy, facial nerve paralysis, encephalitis, etc.
- Division of Stress Management to help achieve psychosomatic relaxation, using a variety of techniques
- Division of Hand for the conservative or postoperative rehabilitation of hand diseases, inflammations, and injuries
- Division of Musicians’ and Dancers’ Injuries. This Division deals with injuries and traumas encountered by this special category of performing artists/professionals due to incorrect posture or overuse syndromes
- Division of Respiratory Physiotherapy for the restoration of respiratory function and maximal oxygen uptake, which may be disturbed due to lung diseases (COPD, chronic lung diseases, asthma, pneumonia, etc.) or heart diseases (coronary heart disease, congenital heart diseases, rehabilitation after bypass or valve replacement surgery, etc.
- Division of Osteoporosis for the proper protection of bones and the prevention of falls, based on special programs that strengthen the appropriate muscles, improve balance and reflexes, and train patients on the accuracy of their movements.
- Division of Incontinence Therapy for the management of urinary incontinence through special osteopathic exercises and methods.
- Division of Acupuncture. Several acupuncture modalities are applied, including:
- o Biomedical acupuncture;
- o acupuncture for musculoskeletal pain;
- o acupuncture for stress management;
- o acupuncture for trigger-points;
- o electroacupuncture.
Division of Ergometry
The Ergometry Center performs all scientifically certified ergometric measurements, using state-of-the-art equipment (isokinetic dynamometer, ergospirometry evaluation gas analyzers, electrocardiography, photocell system, flexometers, pedometry, force plates, fat measurement, Basal Metabolic Rate measurement breathing test, dynamometry, cycle ergometry, lactate and blood glucose analyzers, etc.).
The results of the measurements are reviewed against special norms. Bibliographic references are reported to the assessed patient, thus validating the scientific evidence of the measurements and the professional consistency of our center. For all procedures followed before each ergometry process, the assessed patients are informed about the series of physiological tests.
Division of Gait Analysis and Custom-made Orthotics
A significant medical service is the assessment and treatment of dysfunction problems due to foot disease, injury, and/or anatomical structure. Also, clinical studies demonstrate that a well-designed anatomical, orthotic insole improves the quality of life of people who strain their bodies in the course of their profession or sports activities. Such a medical service includes:
- Foot, posture, and body movement evaluation;
- posture and walking evaluation through a special pedometer; and
- custom-made orthotics - the whole procedure takes place in the special Lab of the center, which is equipped with state-of-the-art technology devices.
Division of Therapeutic Massage
Massage is the oldest, timeless treatment to date. It is a widely recognized treatment that is highly preferred and loved by the vast majority of people. Also, only licensed physiotherapists and beauticians are entitled to apply this treatment technique in Greece.
Massage refers to the manipulation of superficial and deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue, using a variety of approaches. Massage relieves tension and stress, reduces muscle contractions, improves muscle elasticity, increases the range of motion of joints, lowers blood pressure, and improves blood and lymph circulation. Finally, massage can benefit people with long-term conditions. e.g. chronic migraines, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia , chronic fatigue syndrome, and depression.
Different types of massage:
Deep Tissue Massage for deep tissue relaxation
- Sports massage
- Lymphatic drainage massage
- Stress relief massage, which helps improve circulatory and lymphatic systems, reduce muscle contractions, restore the function of the nervous system, and overall stimulate body and mood
Metropolitan General’s Department of Physiotherapy houses top-notch equipment, a useful tool in the hands of our physiotherapists, which supports them in delivering excellent treatment outcomes.
- Special, fully equipped rehabilitation swimming pool
- TECAR Therapymachine
- Latest generation, USA made isokinetic dynamometer
- German technologyradial shockwave therapy
- Full physiotherapy equipment (diathermy, ultrasounds, TENS, interferential therapy, upper/lower extremity whirlpool bath therapy, infra-red device)
- 3rd generationpedometer
- Custom-made orthotics system
- ΙΤΟ electroacupuncture device (Japan) for optimum acupuncture efficiency
- CUPPING therapy equipment (treatment with plastic cups/suction cups that increase blood flow in the affected area, thus promoting healing, muscle relaxation, and significant pain reduction for the treated patient)
- Smart Tools ERGON Equipment for the application of the technique
- Latest generationLASER device for injury-inflammation healing and pain reduction
- Spinal Telemetry System
- Electronic devices for cardiopulmonary exercises
- Full ergometry equipment
- Resistance training equipment
- Special, functional training equipment
What to expect at your 1st consultation
During our first meeting, which is free of charge, a detailed history of your problem/condition is obtained and we carefully review the results of any imaging and/or laboratory testing you may have undergone (MRI or CT scan, sonography, X-ray, electromyogram, blood/urine tests, etc.). Please note that, along with the thorough clinical evaluation we perform (local and regional body areas), we always consider the opinion of your treating physician, with whom we communicate for more details.
We examine the painful area, taking into account other possible dysfunctions and compensations from areas that may be related and contribute to the problem and which may cause pain, weakness, stiffness, imbalance.
Next, you are informed in detail about the proposed treatment protocol and you decide on the treatment course you want to follow.
All patients that have been previously hospitalized in one of HHG Group's Healthcare Institutions (Metropolitan, Metropolitan General, Ygeia, Mitera, and Leto) are entitled to a 25% discount on the chargemaster of the Department of Physiotherapy.
Chiefs: Stavros Toilos, Konstantinos Psarogiorgos
Contact Numbers: +30 210 650 2903 , +30 210 650 2904