The 2nd Cardiac Surgery Clinic is staffed by Cardiac surgeons, Cardiac anesthesiologists and a Perfusionist with 20-year experience in large Cardiac Surgery Centers. It manages both scheduled and emergency cardiac surgery cases on a 24-hour basis.
Cardiac surgery procedures:
- Coronary Bypass. Great emphasis is placed on the use of arterial grafts (two internal mammary arteries) which demonstrate better patency compared to other grafts. Arterial reperfusion constitutes the treatment option of the main trunk and the three main coronary heart arteries.
- Valve surgery plastic correction or replacement of the valves with biological-metallic valves.
- Surgical treatment of thoracic aorta aneurysms.
- Surgical treatment of ruptured aortic aneurysms.
- Revision surgeries.
- Other, less common procedures (heart tumors, congenital heart diseases, surgical treatment of heart failure, etc).
Metropolitan General is a modern General Hospital which accommodates all medical specialties and provides the Department of Cardiac Surgery with:
- Operating rooms with specialized equipment for the management of cardiac surgery cases
- A Polyvalent Intensive Care Unit
- A Cardiac surgery patients ward
- Experienced and highly skilled nursing personnel
- State-of-the-art diagnostic-imaging laboratories
- Hemodynamics Laboratory to address acute cases on a 24/7 basis.
Patient preoperative preparation, intraoperative specialized monitoring of the hemodynamic parameters and continuous postoperative monitoring by the medical and nursing personnel in the ICU and patient rooms, all contribute in the low complications rate. Thus, the results of Metropolitan General’s 10 years of successful presence are comparable to those of large Cardiac Surgery Centers abroad.
Particular attention is paid to intraoperative monitoring, where the use of the Vigilance monitor (catheter) ensures greater safety and delivers better results, especially in aggravated patients. Apart from routine measuring, this catheter facilitates the continuous monitoring of function indexes for the left and right ventricle and the systemic supply and perfusion of the body.
Nikos Michalopoulos, Cardiac surgeon
Konstantinos Markakis, Thoracic surgeon
Georgios Anastasiadis, Thoracic surgeon
Contact number: +30 210 650 2144