The Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging ( MRI) department of Metropolitan General is certified by the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging (EACVI) , being one of the few departments in Greece and the few in Europe that hold this distinction.
The accreditation (EACVI Laboratory Accreditation) confirms the high level of services, the integrity of the infrastructure, the scientific competence οf the stuff and the operating protocols based on international standards.
Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging is one of the most important imaging techniques for the diagnosis of cardiovascular disorders. It is based on the use of a strong magnetic field and radio waves for the composition of images of the heart and chest, whereas processing of the captured images is performed with the use of a special software installed in a computer. Most of the time, during the examination, a contrast agent is administered (gadolinium) in order to take more information by the imaged.
Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging is a specialized imaging examination of the cardiovascular system, which gives us high-quality and high-resolution images, so as to be able to study more thoroughly the cardiovascular disorders. It does not expose the patient to radiation and additionally the drug that is used as contrast agent has the fewest side effects of all the other contrast agents that are used in other imaging methods.
- Modern cardiac imaging technique
- Safe / without radiation
- Painless / bloodless
- No special preparation is needed
- It is applied to all patients with cardiovascular disorders *
* except the patients with non-compatible pacemakers – defibrillators, allergy to the contrast agent, end-stage renal insufficiency
Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging - Indications
- Coronary artery disease: Assessment of ischemic lesions, of myocardial viability and hypomotility. Evaluation of myocardial ischemia after pharmacological stress test. Coronary vessel anatomy.
- Myocarditis: Viral myocarditis (Selection Examination), myocardial involvement in rheumatic diseases
- Myocardial mass and cardiac anatomy study: high resolution images
- Anatomy of large vessels – aortic aneurysms
- Assessment of natural and prosthetic valves: Precise quantification of leaks, reliable valve planimetry
- Diagnosis of myocardial and large vessel inflammation
- Detection of iron deposition on myocardium
- Study of cardiac tumors (primary – secondary)
- Monitoring of pericardial diseases
- Volumetry and contractility of cardiac cavities (Gold Standard)
- Investigation of heart failure causes
- Diagnosis – monitoring of cardiomyopathies (dilated, hypertrophic, Non-Compaction, Takotsubo etc)
- Study of operated for congenital heart disease adults
- Study of right cardiac cavities
Contact number: (+30)210 650 2510 - 11
Eleftherios Vidalakis, Cardiologist specialized in cardiovascular imaging
Savvas Loizos, Cardiologist specialized in cardiovascular imaging