Interventional Pulmonology is a subspecialty of Pulmonary Medicine and plays a key role in the diagnosis and management of respiratory and multisystem diseases, using advanced bronchoscopic techniques. Such techniques can be applied in a minimally invasive manner through an endoscope to diagnose and treat a large number of respiratory conditions.
All techniques are performed by highly specialized medical staff with extensive clinical experience in hospitals both in Greece and abroad. To ensure maximum patient comfort and achieve a high level safety and effectiveness, these techniques are applied under anesthesia administered by our hospital's highly skilled anesthesiology team.
Interventional Pulmonology is particularly applied in the diagnosis and management of:
- Neoplastic lung diseases, primary and metastatic. The introduction of Convex Probe Endobronchial Ultrasound (CP-EBUS) ensures both the diagnosis and staging of malignancies with a safe biopsy of the mediastinal and portal lymph nodes.
- Diffuse interstitial lung diseases
- Hemoptysis (coughing up blood)
- Respiratory tract infections
- Pleural diseases
- Foreign body aspiration
- Other inflammatory diseases
Metropolitan General houses a top-notch Bronchoscopic Lab to exclusively carry out Interventional Pulmonology procedures.