The most advanced and integrated treatment for any heart condition.
Metropolitan General operates one of the select few organized Heart Centers, offering the most modern and integrated treatment of cardiovascular diseases ranging from the stage of prevention and diagnosis to treatment and therapy. It is staffed with renown cardiologists, heart surgeons, invasive cardiologists and cardio-anesthetists, all highly-specialized aided by an experienced nursing and technical staff for more effective treatments. Our Heart Center has state-of-the-art medical and technological equipment, such as its latest digital coronary angiography complex with pioneering 3D mapping systems and its high-powered 3 Tesla MRI array.
The basic components of the Metropolitan General Heart Center are:
- Heart Sector
- 1st Department of Cardiology
- 2nd Department of Cardiology
- 3rd Department of Cardiology
- 4th Department of Cardiology
- 5th Department of Cardiology
- 1st Department of Cardiac Surgery
- 2nd Department of Cardiac Surgery
- Heart Valve Center of Excellence
- Clinic of Minimally Invasive Heart
- Clinic of Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery
The Heart Center is supported by a Multi-Task Intensive Care Unit and its excellently equipped diagnostic and imaging clinical lab.
All emergency cardiological incidents are dealt with on a 24-hour basis by the Emergency Department, while the Hemodynamic Lab has the capability for primary angioplasty at any time on any day; it literally has the ability of immediate opening a blocked artery in cases of acute infarctions.
Heart surgery patients are hospitalized in special wards equipped with a modern telemetric system for 24-hour cardiograph monitoring and on-the-spot diagnosis of any arrhythmias. All immediate interventions are conducted in the in-patient wards by physical therapists of the Clinic Physical Therapy Department.
The Heart Center is one of the few centers in Greece performing advanced and highly-specialized operations such as:
- Full electrophysiology studies
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) by means of pioneering neuroprotection techniques
- Intracoronary ultrasound lithotripsy
- Transcatheter valvuloplasty
- Percutaneous closure of interatrial communication or paravalvular leaks
- Pacemaker implantations with advanced non-electrode technology
- Valvuloplasty (surgical valve repair)
- David Surgery Theater for the treatment of Marfans Syndrome
(aortic valve failure in aortic root aneurysms)